dailystarx

News and Magazine


  • Russian state TV channels have embraced Tucker Carlson’s claims about the Nord Stream pipelines.
  • The Fox News host suggested that the US was behind the damage to the two underwater gas pipelines.
  • The Russian channels repeated his claims at least 12 times on Wednesday, according to The Washington Post.

Russian state television channels have seized on claims made by Fox News host Tucker Carlson that suggested the US may have been behind the suspected attack on the Nord Stream pipelines.

Russian television programs replayed or discussed portions of his commentary at least 12 different times on Wednesday, according to The Washington Post.

Carlson hinted on his Fox News program on Tuesday that the US sabotaged the two pipelines running from Russia to Germany. The host said during his show: “Where might some Americans have gotten the notion that the Biden administration might have been involved directly or through a proxy in the destruction of the Nord Stream pipelines?”

Carlson pointed to a tweet from a Polish European parliamentarian and a statement made by President Joe Biden in February opposing the activation of the pipeline to suggest that he may have had some role in destroying it.

Russia previously said that the damaged area of the pipeline is “fully under the control” of US intelligence agencies, per Reuters. It also said the damage caused to the pipelines was likely directed by state-sponsored “terrorism.”

Neither Russia nor Carlson offered any evidence that US was involved in the pipeline leaks, however.

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) issued a statement saying the leaks were of “deep concern,” and that if the damage was caused by sabotage, it would be met with a “united and determined response.”

The pipelines were not operational, but they contained natural gas that was bubbling to the surface, creating patches of churning sea several hundred yards in size. 

Sabotage suspicions have intensified in recent days. Sweden’s security police issued a statement on Tuesday, which said: “The crime scene investigation that the Security Police conducted at the Nord Stream 1 and 2 gas pipelines is now complete. The investigation has strengthened the suspicions of gross sabotage.”

But no clear evidence has emerged to prove who might be behind any attack on the pipelines that Russia and European partners spent billions of dollars building.

Adm. Sir Ben Key, first sea lord and chief of the British naval staff, said he would “steer clear of direct attribution” because the cause was not “at all clear.” 

The leak was first detected on September 27. The following day, the pipeline operator said there was “unprecedented” damage to three of the four lines that compose Nord Stream 1 and 2. Four leaks have now been found — two in Swedish waters and two in Danish waters — in roughly 250 feet of water.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.